Wednesday 22 April 2009

Netbook Lenovo Ideapad S10 10.2-Inch Netbook

Buy this product from Amazon
Buy this product from Amazon
Buy this product from Amazon

Buy this product from Amazon


I'm comparing this with my wife's Asus 901. The Lenovo build quality (and style/design) are really quite good, and it feels more solid than the Asus. Bigger keyboard, slightly better trackpad, bigger screen. I immediately installed Ubuntu Linux and its quite speedy, and suspend/hibernate are flawless. The biggest problem is the battery life: I haven't done a quantitative comparison, but the Asus battery lasts much longer - I plan to order a 6-cell battery if/when they're available. I've tweaked power performance with PowerTop, but its still not what I would want for a long trip. Its a shame to have to plug something so portable into the wall!

FWIW, I actually ordered the 512MB memory and 80GB hard drive, and they're plenty, at least for Linux. I can't imagine what I would want a 160GB hard drive on something like this, unless you were storing your DVD collection for travel (see battery life issue, above).

No comments:

Post a Comment